Watermelon Rind Chutney
Watermelon? is a delicious and refreshing fruit, helps you cool down from the summer heat. It is low in calorie, and also a nutritional powerhouse.
Watermelon is considered as cucumber’s cousin as they belong to the same family called, Cucurbitaceae, which includes gourds as well.
If you want to know HOW TO SELECT & STORE WATERMELON, check out…
Like its cousin-cucumber, the entire watermelon can be eaten, although people tend to only eat the inner pink flesh and throw away the watermelon rind. The black seeds and rind is entirely edible and has many health benefits. After using the flesh part, store the watermelon rind in the refrigerator, in an airtight box and use it later to make many dishes from chutneys to pickles. Finding ways to use watermelon rind(white part) for food, such as pickles, relishes or jam, extends the functionality of this fruit.
If you are bored of the regular coconut or onion or tomato chutney, then watermelon chutney could be a great way to add veggies to your diet. This chutney is a unique way of making a side dish out of the Rind, which we normally throw after eating watermelon. So, here is the tasty chutney recipe you might want to try and I am sure you would not throw the watermelon rind here on.
You could also try RED RICE DOSA using Watermelon Rind…
I added almonds for an extra nutty flavor, use nuts of your choice and make the chutney healthier and tastier.
Enjoy this watermelon flavored chutney with Idli, dosa, vada or several other breakfasts or steamed rice. Yummier than ever!!
Watermelon Rind Chutney | ಕಲ್ಲಂಗಡಿ ಹಣ್ಣು ತೊಗಟೆ/ಸಿಪ್ಪೆ ಚಟ್ನಿ | Summer Special Chutney
- 2 cups Watermelon Rind chopped
- 1 tsp Oil
- 3-4 Dry Red Chili
- ½ inch Ginger
- ½ tsp Jeera / Cumin
- 10-12 Almonds / Badam
- Salt to taste
- A small piece Tamarind
- ¼ cup Fresh Coconut optional
- 1 tsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Mustard seeds
- few Curry leaves
- 1 Dry Red Chili
- A Pinch Hing/Asafoetida
- Remove the green peel from the watermelon rind(white part). Finely chop the white rind part. Set aside.
- In a pan/kadai, add oil, jeera, dry red chili, ginger, almonds, and roast on low-med flame for about a minute.
- Add in chopped Watermelon Rind. Close the lid and cook for about 10-12 mins. Stir in between.
- Once the rind is soft and cooked, add salt, tamarind, and coconut. Mix well, turn the heat off and let the mixture cool.
- Take the fried mixture in a mixie jar, add little water if required. Blend to a smooth paste.
- To season, heat a tsp oil in a pan, add mustard seeds once it crackles add a dry red chili, hing and curry leaves. Pour this tempering over the chutney and mix well.
- Serve with Idli, dosa, vada or several other breakfasts or steamed rice.
- Healthy chutney ready to relish!!
- If you don’t have almonds, adding roasted peanuts/sesame seeds while grinding, would make chutney tastier.
- Chop the watermelon rind into smallest cubes possible for faster cooking.
Here are 3 Watermelon Coolers, you would want to enjoy this summer…
You might want to try other chutney recipes…
- Watermelon Rind Chutney
- Red Capsicum Chutney
- Cabbage Chutney
- Radish Chutney
- Gongura Chutney
- Coconut Chutney
- Peanut Chutney
Tried this Recipe?
For more Quick & Tasty Recipes…
♥Stay in touch! Feel free to drop me an EMAIL and share your feedback. I will always respond.
Thank you and Happy Cooking!