Ridge Gourd Curry
Saagu is basically a mild, coconut based veg curry from Karnataka. Here is a simple, healthy and tasty saagu with Ridge Gourd/Heerekayi/Beerakaya, a great side dish for dosa, poori or steamed rice.
Ridge Gourd Curry | ಹೀರೆಕಾಯಿ ಸಾಗು | Heerekayi Saagu | Beerakaya Curry
Saagu is basically a mild, coconut based veg curry from Karnataka. Here is a simple, healthy and tasty saagu with Ridge Gourd/ Heerekayi / Beerakaya, a great side dish for dosa, poori or steamed rice.
- ½ cup Coriander Leaves
- 3-4 Green Chili
- 2 Garlic optional
- 1 tsp Roasted Chana / Dalia
- ½ tsp Poppy seeds
- ¼ cup Fresh Coconut optional
- Water to grind
- 3 tsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Chana dal
- ½ tsp Urad dal
- Few Curry leaves
- 1 Large Onion finely chopped
- 2 Large Ridge gourd – 4 cups finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- ½ cup Water
- Peel the skin of 2 Ridge Gourd and finely chop.
- Finely Chop 1 large onion.
- Grind all the ingredients from <to grind> list, to a smooth paste and set aside.
- Heat 3 tsp oil in a kadai, add mustard, when splutters add in chana dal, urad dal, and curry leaves.
- Add finely chopped onion and cook until translucent.
- Now add finely chopped ridge gourd and fry for 2-3 mins.
- Next, add the ground masala paste with ½ cup water, salt to taste and mix well.
- Close lid and cook. Stirring occasionally. Once the ridge gourd is soft and cooked, turn off the stove. If the gravy is still watery, boil for few more mins until the gravy thickens.
- Serve Saagu as a side dish with dosa, Roti or several other breakfasts or steamed rice.
Tried this Recipe?
♥ I’d love to hear from you! Please share your food photo with hashtag #kaviruchi on Facebook or Instagram so I can see it and others can enjoy it too!
For more Quick & Tasty Recipes…
♥Follow me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST and Subscribe to my YOUTUBE Channel.
♥Stay in touch! Feel free to drop me an EMAIL and share your feedback. I will always respond.
Thank you and Happy Cooking!