Oven Roasted Okra
Okra is a velvety green and edible seed pods that are also known as lady’s fingers. Packed with fiber, potassium, and vitamin C, okra is one of the most nutritious fruits out there. Yes, it’s true! Okra is technically a fruit. But in the kitchen, okra is primarily used as a vegetable, often spiced with masalas or used in soups and stews.
Here is a healthy and tasty side dish, with okra, so easy to make and forget all hassle of okra slime and roasting before cooking. This definitely is a deliciously irresistible okra fries recipe, worth a try each time, every time.
Oven-Roasted Okra | ಬೆಂಡೆಕಾಯಿ ಫ್ರೈಸ್ | Okra fries | Bhindi Roast
- 1 lb(½ kg) Okra/Bhindi (rinsed & dried)
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp Jeera Powder
- ¼ tsp Amchur Powder
- ¼ tsp Chat Masala
- 1 tsp Oil
- Preheat oven to 475°F | 230°C.
- Rinse okra thoroughly and pat dry(if you have time, let it air dry)completely to avoid sliminess.
- Trim the stem ends and tips, Slice lengthwise.
- In a bowl add in all dry masala powders and mix well.
- Add in sliced okra and toss to coat well.
- Cover and set aside for 10 mins. The salt added, will help to produce enough moisture that the masala powders will adhere to the okra.
- Spread okra on a baking sheet, in a single layer, spray little oil on top and place sheet in the preheated oven.
- Roast until crisp and tender, tossing halfway, for about 20-25 minute. Add on minutes if u like it crunchy.
- Remove from oven and serve hot, as a side dish with steamed rice and rasam/as an appetizer.
- Okra Fries is Ready to Relish!!
- The souring agent for non-slimy okra could be lemon juice, vinegar, amchur (raw mango powder) or even tamarind. The one best suits this recipe is the amchur(raw mango powder) helps to cut the sliminess and ensures okra are tender and crisp.
- I used a carrot leaf carving to garnish.
Tried this Recipe?
♥ I’d love to hear from you! Please share your food photo with hashtag #kaviruchi on Facebook or Instagram so I can see it and others can enjoy it too!
For more Quick & Tasty Recipes…
♥Follow me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST and Subscribe to my YOUTUBE Channel.
♥Stay in touch! Feel free to drop me an EMAIL and share your feedback. I will always respond.
Thank you and Happy Cooking!