Kale? is a dark, leafy green vegetable, with loads of goodness in them. It’s essentially a cruciferous plant which belongs to the same family as broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage. All vegetables are good for your health, but kale is particularly outstanding as it is a nutrient-powerhouse, packed with anti-oxidants.
Kale comes in a variety of forms, few to name are Curly kale, Lacinato(Tuscan) kale, Red Russian(Ragged Jack) kale. You could enjoy kale either in raw form or cooked, making sure to discard the tough stem in the middle of the leaf, before using. Kale is great for soups, stews, stir-fries, smoothies, and salads.
We have always known, Kale tasting delicious in salads in its raw form. But still, cooking kale does not harm the essential vitamins in them. So, today I would like to share another quick and easy way to use Kale as a snack food. As Kale leaves are thicker than some other greens, they hold their shape well when baked. So, baking kale results in a crunchy, super healthy snack, which turns out to be a good alternative to potato chips.
Kale Chips tastes absolutely delicious and my kids love to munch this crunchy Kale for their evening snack. Today I am using Red Russian Kale for making chips. These are from a dear friend of mine who loves gardening and shares her fresh harvest with me always. Thanks a lot, Salma! Red Russian Kale is mildly sweet, with a nutty flavor and purple-red stems. Although any variety of Kale would turn out great when baked, just be sure to remove the stem part and bake just until the edges are brown but not burnt.
How to select and store Kale?
- Kale is easily available in both summer and fall season.
- Fresh kale can range in color from blue-green to purple-red.
- Select Kale with crisp, dark green leaves and thick, firm stems.
- Choose smaller leaves as they are tender and not bitter as larger leaves.
- Raw Kale can be refrigerated, unwashed in a sealed bag for up to a week.
- Kale leaves are good to consume when fresh, as they turn bitter every day.
You might want to try this healthy snack and side-dishes…
I hope you too will enjoy baking and munching Kale. Let’s not wait and quickly move on to the instruction on how to make Kale Chips.
Kale Chips Recipe | ಕೇಲ್ ಎಲೆಗಳ ಚಿಪ್ಸ್| Healthy evening Snacks | Baked Kale Chips
- 1 bunch Kale Leaves
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ tsp Salt
- Pre-heat oven to 275˚F (135˚C).
- Rinse Kale leaves, and dry thoroughly (spin them dry in a salad spinner if available or pat dry using paper towel). Remove the stem part from the middle of each leaf and tear into bite-size pieces.
- Place the leaves in a mixing bowl and drizzle olive oil and sprinkle some salt. Toss well, until each leaf is coated with oil.
- Spread the kale on a baking sheet and bake until crisp, and the edges are slightly browned(but not burnt), for about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir halfway through.
- Let it cool at the room temperature before serving. Enjoy chips with a cup of chai as an evening snack. Healthy Snack for kids too.
- Munch the crunch!!
Baking time may vary depending on the type of kale using. Just make sure not to burn and take out of the oven, when the edges start to burn. Add extra mins if leaves are not crispy.
Add in extra seasonings like garlic powder/paprika/cumin powder/ curry powder/pepper powder as per choice and taste. We like it simple with just oil and salt.
Tried this Recipe?
♥ I’d love to hear from you! Please share your food photo with hashtag #kaviruchi on Facebook or Instagram so I can see it and others can enjoy it too!
For more Quick & Tasty Recipes…
♥Follow me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST and Subscribe to my YOUTUBE Channel.
♥Stay in touch! Feel free to drop me an EMAIL and share your feedback. I will always respond.
Thank you and Happy Cooking!