Egg Dosa/Muttai dosa is healthy, filling and tasty breakfast from South India. A twist to regular dosa by adding in veggies and egg, making it even more delicious and healthier too. Enjoy for breakfast or an evening snack or roll it and pack for kids lunch box.
Here is a simple, easy to make egg dosa recipe, with onion and tomato. Enjoy egg dosa any chutney or sambar or chutney powder-ghee.
Egg Dosa | ಮೊಟ್ಟೆ ದೋಸೆ | Healthy Breakfast | Kids Lunch box Recipe
- Dosa Batter (fermented)
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Tomato (finely chopped)
- 1 Green Chili (finely chopped-optional)
- Coriander leaves
- Salt & Pepper -to taste
- This recipe requires a regular fermented dosa batter prepared ahead of time.
- Prepare the egg mixture, by adding an egg, onion, tomato, coriander leaves, salt, and pepper. Whisk well until frothy.
- Heat a pre-seasoned Cast Iron Dosa Tawa on med-low. When hot, sprinkle water and wipe with a clean towel.
- Drizzle a few drops of oil and wipe using a paper towel.
- Pour a ladle of dosa batter and spread in a circular motion.
- Pour and spread the egg mixture evenly on the dosa and drizzle oil on top and edges.
- Once the dosa is firm and light brown, flip and gently press.
- Reduce flame to low, and cook well on egg side
- Once done, fold and serve hot with any curry or chutney or sambar.
- Healthy & Tasty Dosa is Ready to Relish!!
- You could use a Non-Stick Tawa or Cast-Iron Tawa. Though Non-Stick Tawas make the job easier, I personally recommend using Cast iron and works best all the time I have made these dosas.
- Cast iron cookware is inexpensive, hold a high heat capacity, free of chemicals, add trace amounts of iron to your food, and last—well—forever.
- Keep the cast-iron tawa/skillet well seasoned always and exclusive for making dosa. Using the same Tawa for making Roti/Chapathi, would make it harder for making dosas the next time.
- The right temperature of tawa need to be maintained for making this dosa, also the consistency of the batter should be not too thick and not too watery. Don’t worry if dosa sticks anytime and you find hard to scrape out. Just get the tawa off the stove and scrape and once clean, rub oil using half cut onion/potato. The Tawa is all set to make dosas again.
- You could add veggies like carrot and capsicum for add on taste and healthy version.
- I skipped adding chili as I was making for kids. For a spicy version, add finely chopped green chili while preparing egg mixture and also you could sprinkle chutney powder on top of egg dosa.
Egg Dosa is also a famous street food from South India. There are a variety of egg dosas prepared. Here is another version of egg dosa with added on veggies; grated Carrot, and finely chopped Capsicum. It is absolutely Yummier than ever!!
This is a very versatile recipe, use veggies of your choice; Make your own version of egg dosa and use the dosa batter of your choice.
Your taste buds don’t lie—Give it a try!
Here are some of the Chutney recipes you want to try with Egg Dosa…
- Watermelon Rind Chutney
- Red Capsicum Chutney
- Cabbage Chutney
- Radish Chutney
- Gongura Chutney
- Coconut Chutney
- Peanut Chutney
The Cast Iron Skillet i use to make dosas.
Tried this Recipe?
♥ I’d love to hear from you! Please share your food photo with hashtag #kaviruchi on Facebook or Instagram so I can see it and others can enjoy it too!
For more Quick & Tasty Recipes…
♥Follow me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST and Subscribe to my YOUTUBE Channel.
♥Stay in touch! Feel free to drop me an EMAIL and share your feedback. I will always respond.
Thank you and Happy Cooking!