SALAD: A healthy food, for a wealthy mood!
Corn Salad ?is a perfect summer dish for picnics or BBQs. A simple, easy to make, deliciously irresistible salad. Its an amazing combination of corn, cucumber, apple, carrot, sprouted moong bean and a special dressing to make it refreshing and flavorful. This combination of fruits-veggies makes one healthy-nutritious side-dish and I bet one cannot resist after one bit. This definitely is a crowd-pleasing salad for parties or potlucks, that would disappear fast!
Corn Salad is packed full of nutritious ingredients. The main ingredient for this salad is SWEET CORN – a grain that is super rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Corn is an excellent addition to a healthy diet.
Should I use fresh or frozen corn for this salad?
Both work great! Use any as per availability for the season.
If using fresh corn cob?, make sure to remove husks and silky threads. Boil in a large pot of water for about 10-12 mins. remove corn kernels from the cob using a knife or corn stripper. Fresh corn is ready to use for salad.
If using frozen corn, add the frozen corn to a microwave-safe bowl and add very little water and microwave for 1-2 mins. Increase the time based on the quantity of corn. Strain water and frozen corn is ready to use for salad.
Next addition is a fruit that keeps the doctor away. Yes, it is APPLE! ? Tastes delicious as a stand-alone snack or works great in salads, pies, smoothies, and salsas, too. Apples rarely disappoint. Finely chop and add to your salad(do not peel). Every part of the apple is edible and nutritious. Wash the apple thoroughly before using, to remove the wax coating. I usually keep the skin on for apple because peeling can remove most of the fruit’s fiber, vitamin C and iron so try to consume this juicy delight with the skin on.
Another addition is CUCUMBERS ?that are low in calories but high in many important vitamins and minerals. The crunchy cucumber is the best summer coolers in this salad, keeps you hydrated and makes the salad so refreshingly good.
You all are aware of how good a CARROT ?is for eye health. It not only adds a distinct taste and bright color to salad and also gives a sweet mild flavor to the salad. Grate and add carrot as needed for your salad.
Not to forget MUNG BEANS in this salad, that are a high source of nutrients, full of protein to help you keep fuller for longer. They have crisp flavor when sprouted and also sprouted grains are claimed to be higher in nutrients and more easily digestible than unsprouted varieties. I always make sprouted grains every week and store in the refrigerator, to use in curries and salads.
If you would like to know how to sprout grains check out HOW TO SPROUT GRAINS. The same procedure works pretty well for mung beans too. Adding sprouted grain to this salad makes it more nutritious and healthy salad.
Dress your salad with good taste!
The key ingredient is the simple, flavorful dressing with olive oil, lime juice salt, and pepper. This salad is a pack of flavors (salt, sour, sweet, hot) to soothe your taste buds.
Make this tasty and healthy corn salad today. Eat Better! Feel Better!!
Corn Apple Salad | ಆರೋಗ್ಯಪೂರ್ಣ ಕಾರ್ನ್ ಸಲಾಡ್ | Sprouted Moong and Corn Salad | Healthy Summer Salad
- 2 cups Sweet Corn frozen/fresh
- 1 Apple finely chopped
- 1 Cucumber finely chopped
- 1 small Carrot grated
- 1 cup Sprouted Mung Beans
- ¼ cup Pomegranate Arils
- 1 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive oil
- Juice of 1 Lime/Lemon
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- If using fresh corn, boil 2 corn cobs for 10-12 mins and remove kernels from cob; set aside.
- If using frozen corn, Microwave the 2 cups corn in little water, for about 1-2 mins, strain water; set aside.
- Finely chop 1 apple and 1 cucumber. Grate a carrot and set aside.
- To prepare the dressing, take a small bowl and whisk together 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, juice of 1 lime, ½ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp pepper.
- In a large bowl add in 2 cups sweet corn, 1 cup finely chopped apple, 1 cup finely chopped cucumber, 1 cup sprouted mung beans, 1 cup grated carrot.
- Pour in the prepared dressing on top and toss all the ingredients to coat well.
- Garnish with Pomegranate arils and serve.
- The Delicious Corn Salad is Ready to Relish!!
- Any combination works well for this salad. Skip any veggie or try your own combination of veggies and fruits.
- This recipe calls for sprouted mung beans which have to be prepared ahead of time. You could still skip it, if unavailable at the time of making this salad. Salad will have added on health benefits with sprouted grains, but still tastes delicious with or without it.
- This Salad can be made up to a day ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator, helping the flavors to incorporate well and serve chilled.
Tried this Recipe?
For more Quick & Tasty Recipes…
♥Stay in touch! Feel free to drop me an EMAIL and share your feedback. I will always respond.
Thank you and Happy Cooking!