Cabbage(Patta Gobi) is a low-calorie leafy vegetable that is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Cabbage Chutney is a South-Indian side-dish and condiment prepared for idli, dosa or even steamed rice. This is a simple, healthy and tasty chutney. Do try it!
Cabbage Chutney | ಎಲೆಕೋಸು ಚಟ್ನಿ | Cabbage Pachadi | Muttaikose Chutney Recipe
Cabbage(Patta Gobi) is a low-calorie leafy vegetable that is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Cabbage Chutney is a South-Indian side-dish and condiment prepared for idli, dosa or even steamed rice. This is a simple, healthy and tasty chutney. Do try it!!
- ½ large head Cabbage roughly chopped= 4 cups
- 1 tsp Oil
- ½ tsp Jeera / Cumin
- 3-4 Green Chili
- 3-4 Garlic
- A small piece Tamarind
- ¼ cup Fresh Coconut optional
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Urad Dal
- few Curry leaves
- A Pinch Hing/Asafoetida
- In a pan/kadai, add 1 tsp oil, jeera, green chili, garlic, and roast on low-med flame for about a minute.
- Add in chopped cabbage. Saute until the raw smell of cabbage goes off. Close lid and cook for 3-4 mins. Stir in-between.
- Once cabbage is soft yet crunchy, and almost cooked, add tamarind and salt. Mix well, turn the heat off and let the mixture cool.
- Take the fried mixture in a mixie jar, add little water if required. Blend to a little coarse paste.
- To season, heat a tsp oil in a pan, add mustard seeds once it crackles add urad dal, saute until golden, add hing and curry leaves. Pour this tempering over chutney and mix well.
- Serve with Idli, dosa, vada or several other breakfasts or steamed rice.
-Add more or less green chili according to spice level required. You could use red chilis instead of green chilis. -Adding coconut to cabbage chutney is optional. Can be prepared with or without coconut. -Adding roasted peanuts/sesame powder would make chutney tastier. -Do not overcook the cabbage. -Use sesame/gingelly oil for an authentic taste of cabbage pachadi.
Tried this Recipe?
♥ I’d love to hear from you! Please share your food photo with hashtag #kaviruchi on Facebook or Instagram so I can see it and others can enjoy it too!
For more Quick & Tasty Recipes…
♥Follow me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST and Subscribe to my YOUTUBE Channel.
♥Stay in touch! Feel free to drop me an EMAIL and share your feedback. I will always respond.
Thank you and Happy Cooking!