Okra/Bhindi is a very nutritious and healthy vegetable, as it has low caloric value and has tonnes of goodness in them. Try this tasty yet simple Bhindi Sambar which is a very common dish made in South India.
Simple Bhindi Sambar without Dal | ಬೆಂಡೆಕಾಯಿ ಹುಳಿ | Okra/Ladies Finger Sambar
- 25 Bhindi / Okra (chopped)
- 3 tsp Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- few Curry Leaves
- 1 Onion (cubed)
- 2 cups Water (adjust as per consistency)
- Salt (as needed)
For Grinding Masala :
- ½ cup Fresh Coconut
- 1 Large Tomato (roughly chopped)
- 1 Tbsp Tamarind
- 2 tsp Sambar Powder
- Wash okra thoroughly and pat dry completely before Cutting, to have non-slimy okra.
- In a Kadai, add a tsp oil and fry okra for 10-12 mins on high heat, to get rid of sliminess of okra. Set aside.
- Blend coconut, tamarind, tomato and sambar powder to a fine paste.
- In a Pressure cooker, add oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves, and onion. Cook until they turn translucent.
- Next, add in ground masala, sauté for 2-3 mins.
- Next add water as per consistency required, salt to taste, roasted bhindi and cook for 1 whistle.
- Simple and tasty Bhindi sambar is ready to be served with steamed rice !!
- Okra/Bhindi sambar tastes good if slightly sour compared to other sambars.
Tried this Recipe?
For more Quick & Tasty Recipes…
♥Stay in touch! Feel free to drop me an EMAIL and share your feedback. I will always respond.
Thank you and Happy Cooking!